Barnstaple Town v Wimborne Town: Jed Harper-Penman goal earns Barum another Evo-Stik League South West point

A second-half strike from captain Jed Harper-Penman gave Barnstaple Town another point in Evo-Stik League South West this afternoon (Saturday).

The Barnstaple captain converted a Lloyd Gardner cross midway through the second half in a 1-1 draw with Wimborne Town.

His sliding finish cancelled out James Stokoe’s goal three minutes before half time.

Stokoe had the chance to win the game for Wimborne from the penalty spot with 12 minutes remaining, but saw his spot-kick hit the post.

The result means it’s back-to-back draws for Barnstaple, who came back from behind twice in a 3-3 draw with Shortwood United on Tuesday.

While it may still be seven games without a win for Richard Pears’ side, the Barum faithful will be much happier after this afternoon’s result.

The visitors had won each of their last four in the league, so it would have been easy for Barnstaple’s heads to drop when Stokoe gave them the lead on the verge of half time.

Lovell’s through-ball into the box left the midfielder with nothing to do but beat Grant Fisher in the Barnstaple goal. He did just that, slotting past the Barum keeper and into the far corner.

It was a blow for Pears’ side, who in a half with only one clear-cut chance, had more of the ball but were not able to find a way to goal.

Jordan Charran got Barnstaple’s first proper look-in four minutes into the second half, but was unable to fully capitalise when keeper Gerard Benfield spilled Harper-Penman’s cross and instead sent the ball over the bar.

Charran departed six minutes later for Alex Gray, with George Nancekivell pushed up front alongside Harry Stevens – making his first start since joining from Torridgeside.

The change sparked a bit more life into Barnstaple and the game opened up. Gardner and Connor Clifford got plenty of joy down the left channel and that was exactly where Barnstaple’s equaliser came from.

After Gardner burst down the flank and sent a low cross into the box, Harper-Penman was first to meet it, sliding at the near post and putting the ball past Benfield and into the net to huge cheers from the Barum support.

An almost carbon copy of the move minutes later saw Harry Stevens have a shot blocked after Gardner found him.

But all the home side’s hard work was almost undone with 12 minutes remaining. Luke Burbidge was upended after dribbling into the box, and referee Sean Rothwell immediately pointed to the spot.

Stokoe stepped up to take it but his low spot-kick hit the foot of the post before spinning out for a goal kick.

Barnstaple’s best opportunity to steal all the points came with four minutes remaining and it again came from the left. Gardner beat two players at full tilt before firing a ball into the box, but Stevens was unable to get anything on the ball after a deflection.

Barnstaple Town: G Fisher, Booth, Clifford (Humphreys 64), Nancekivell, Ibbeson, K Fisher, Cooper (Radford 83), Harper-Penman, Charran (Gray 55), Stevens, Gardner. Subs not used: Osborn, Reay

Wimborne Town: Benfield, Oldring, Lovell (Penny 80), Davidson, Arnold, Kellaway (Maybury 85), Stokoe, Francis, T Holmes, Burbidge, Bayston (L Holmes 70). Subs not used: Walsh, Cole.

Comments are closed.