Match report: Barnstaple Town 0 Street 1


STREET scored a stoppage-time goal to become the first team to win at Barnstaple Town in a Toolstation Western League match for more than a year.

The visitors played the second half of tonight’s Premier Division fixture with 10 men after Harry Baker was sent off.

But they restricted Barnstaple to little more than half chances before substitute Harry Foster gave them a 1-0 win with a diving header in the 92nd minute.

Barnstaple lost at home to Witheridge and Bideford in cup ties last season, but they had not been beaten at Mill Road in the league since Wincanton Town’s 3-1 win on August 12, 2014.

Tonight’s performance was as disappointing as Saturday’s FA Cup win over Southern League Bridgwater Town had been exciting.

There was little quality service to front two Ryan Turner and Dave Pearse. The closest they went to scoring in the first half was when the ball broke to Turner from the Street goalkeeper and his shot hit the side-netting.

Steve Oliver, in the Barnstaple goal, saved well with his feet from Steve Murray in the first minute and later tipped the striker’s 20-yard volley over.

Nathan Truckle was perhaps lucky to escape with a yellow card when he used his arm to stop Pearse’s pass putting Turner through on goal in the 21st minute.

But there seemed no doubt in referee Lee Roberts’s mind over which card to produce seven minutes before half-time when Baker reacted to a heavy challenge on a team-mate by Aaron Harper-Penman and launched into a late tackle on the Barnstaple captain.

It could have been a costly mistake and Town twice went close to scoring in the first six minutes of the second half but Craig Rothwell blocked a Pearse shot at the near post before producing a fine save to palm a Lee Francis header over the bar.

Turner volleyed wide from a Pearse cross in the 61st minute before Street had two sights of goal in three minutes but Oliver made comfortable saves from Craig Herrod and Mark Salter.

The Barnstaple keeper was beaten as the game went into stoppage-time, though, as Salter did brilliantly to create space on the right and drove a cross into the six-yard box where Foster flung himself forward to head the ball in.

Barnstaple went straight up the other end to hit the frame of the goal but there was nothing they could do to keep their unbeaten home run alive.

Barnstaple Town (4-4-2): Steve Oliver; Josh Phillips, Aaron Harper-Penman, James Mayne, Liam Gregory; Jed Harper-Penman (Shaun Copp 69), Ross Jones (Steve Holland 58), Jack Jenkins (Niall Heeney 77), Lee Francis; Ryan Turner, Dave Pearse. Subs not used: Scott Huxtable, Jimmy Thorne.

Street (4-2-3-1): Craig Rothwell; Jack Malone, Lee Begg, Ben Amghar, Mark Randall; Nathan Truckle, Lee Oakley (Tom Hill 77); Steve Murray (Harry Foster 84), Harry Baker, Craig Herrod (Tom Clifford-Jones 69); Mark Salter.

Referee: Lee Roberts.

Attendance: 149.

, , , ,

Comments are closed.