Barnstaple Town v Cinderford Town: Late goal sends Barum to Evo-Stik League South West defeat

A late goal from Jack Alderdice consigned Barnstaple Town to defeat in their first home game of the new year.

Barum looked on course for a point against Cinderford Town this afternoon (Saturday), until Alderdice glanced in from a corner in the 87th minute to send the visitors away 2-1 winners.

Lewis Bamford had given Cinderford the lead after 15 minutes, but Barum fought back and drew level early in the second half through Chris Ibbeson.

Barnstaple remain second from bottom in Evo-Stik League South West, with a six point gap above them.

With Bishops Cleeve winning 4-0 at Mangotsfield United this afternoon, the nine point gap between them and the foot of the table has become six.

Nathan Cooper forced an early save from goalkeeper Joe Perry, but the visitors soon got themselves in front through Bamford.

Barnstaple failed to clear their lines from a corner and it was Bamford who benefitted. With the ball falling at his feet he blasted it past Neal Osborn to give the visitors the lead.

It was Bamford forcing a save from Osborn which gifted Cinderford the initial corner, getting in behind the Barum defence and firing a low shot the Barnstaple keeper had to push wide.

As the half wore on, Barnstaple started to cause a few more problems for the visitors. Tony Radford forced a good save from Perry after being teed up by Tallan Mitchell.

After the break it took just three minutes for Ibbeson to get Barum back on terms. The goal was similar to the visitors opener in many respects, and with the ball bouncing around the penalty area after Jordan Walton’s corner, it was the right back who eventually got a shot away from 12 yards to put it in the net.

Barnstaple continued to create chances and looked more likely to take the lead as the half progressed. Cooper forced a save from Perry after being fed through by Charran and also saw a shot go over the bar.

The visitors looked dangerous on the break though, and Declan Morely-Lyne should almost certainly have put Cinderford back in front at the end of a flowing passing move, only to roll the ball straight to Osborn.

At the other end, Perry was keeping things level, saving well from a stinging shot from Mitchell from 20 yards.

For all Barum’s attacking intent, it was the visitors who would get the crucial goal with three minutes remaining.

After Osborn had saved well from another Bamford effort, the resulting corner was met by Alderdice and Tony Radford, with the ball looping over Osborn before nestling in the stanchion.

Barnstaple Town: Osborn, Ibbeson, Walton, Booth, Heeney, Radford, Mitchell (Yeo 90), Cooper, Harper-Penman, Charran, Stevens (Barker 84).

Subs not used: Reay, Darch, Houle.

Cinderford Town: Perry, Grimes, Hunt (Bloom 85), Watkins, Clare, Alderdice, Norman (Harrhy 85), Ellis, Morely-Lyne (Atkinson 70), Bamford, McDonald.

Subs not used: Cook, Angel.

Comments are closed.